Here you can find information about Lincoln Chafee’s stances on the most important issues facing our state. For an overarching view, read Chafee's plan for creating jobs and jumpstarting the economy in his first one hundred days in office, The First One Hundred Days Plan for Jobs. To zoom in on specific issues, see below:
Jobs & the Economy
- 100-Day Economic Plan – Chafee’s economic development plan for his first 100 days in office
- 10-Point Plan – Chafee's 10-point plan to leverage the $125 million Rhode Island Loan Guaranty Fund in a way that maximizes job creation and minimizes taxpayer risk
- Historic Tax Credits – supports reinstating tax credits for certain cities and towns in the most distressed areas like West Warwick, Central Falls, Woonsocket and Pawtucket
- Runway Expansion – supports the expansion of the runway at T.F. Green Airport to the proposed 8,750 feet
- Pension Reform Plan – Chafee’s comprehensive pension reform plan that addresses both state and municipal pensions
- Budget Deficit – dealing with the budget deficit without shifting the tax burden onto cities and towns
- Consolidation – open to consolidating local government as long as it can be proven that it will lead to savings, local factors unique to each area are taken into account
- Local Government – opposes cutting state funding for cities and towns unless the state government repeals costly mandates, including banning police and firefighter unions from bargaining over how many staffers must be on duty, which is also known as minimum manning requirements.
- State Building Usage – Chafee has identified significant savings opportunities in the state's failure to use over 400,000 square feet of state-owned office space
- Plan for Education - Chafee supports a Middle College system, opposes further cuts to public higher education, and will make funding for URI, RIC and CCRI a top priority
- Energy & Environment – Chafee’s combined focus on renewable energy, recycling, and re-connecting businesses with sustainability to benefit both the environment and the economy
- LNG – opposes the proposed Hess/LNG facility
- LGBTQ Issues - Chafee has been a longtime supporter of the LGBTQ community, and is a strong advocate for LGBTQ rights. If he were elected governor, he would not only sign marriage equality legislation, but would champion it as well.
- Gambling – considers gambling an addictive behavior, but if Massachusetts builds casinos that siphon business from Rhode Island, Chafee would support building full-fledged casinos in our state
- Immigration – committed to helping immigrants integrate into our society and become US citizens
Linc Chafee is a tested leader of unquestioned integrity and a strong independent voice. As Governor, he will work hard to create new jobs, rebuild our economy, solve our chronic budget problems, end corruption, and forge a new way forward for Rhode Island.